Completed Sewing Project: The Audrey Dress

Pattern:  Butterick 4443
Fabric: polyester from Joann’s

Belt: Gap
Shoes: Bandolino

It is done!! After much hemming (ha!) and hawing on my part, I finally finished the Audrey dress!

This week I’ve been on a staycation and determined to finish this dress. For some reason I thought this dress would be an easy project, but along the way I realized that I still have a lot to learn. My sewing skills are still rusty. Some things I learned:

There are no shortcuts

Any where on the dress where the sewing isn’t precise, I can spot it a mile away.

Granted, we are always more critical on ourselves and since I’ve been living and breathing this dress since May, I know exactly where all of the mistakes are. Some of the errors I went back and fixed, but others I decided to live with and chalk up to a learning experience.

Muslin, muslin, muslin

I would have been much less frustrated if I hadn’t breezed through the muslin and thought I could make fit changes on the fashion fabric. Huge mistake.

At this point, I don’t even know what size I ended up making since I took the dress in (and out at one point) so much in the bodice and skirt. I originally used a 16 for the bodice and 18 for the skirt to skim my hips since those were the sizes that fit my bust, waist and hip measurements. The dress was huge! I ended up taking in the waist and shoulders and cutting 2 inches off both sides of the skirt since I looked like I was being swallowed by a skirt. I decided that I wanted a less poufy skirt instead.

I wish sewing pattern sizes were more in sync with ready-to-wear sizes (or vice versa) – then I would have a better idea of which size I am. It’s so confusing!

Butterick 4443 pattern images

I have learned that just like there are size differences between retailers (like Gap vs. Banana Republic), there are size differences between pattern companies. All the more reason to work on a muslin first to fix all the sizing kinks.

You need quality equipment

For some reason, inserting the invisible zipper was very challenging for me. It’s not like I’ve never worked with one before either.

After visiting Colette’s site and viewing their awesome video tutorial (click here to see it), they mentioned that using a plastic invisible zipper foot, which was what I was using, was disastrous.

I immediately hauled my butt down to City Quilter to get a Bernina metal invisible zipper foot. Wow – what a difference that metal foot made! I inserted the zipper so easily. That restored my sewing confidence a bit.

Now I’m ready for my next project! Stay tuned.

This entry was posted in Sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Completed Sewing Project: The Audrey Dress

  1. Joanne Ragazzo says:

    Love the dress…and the model. I’m impressed. I always started projects and never finished them!

  2. Amy says:

    Wow, it looks really nice. Great job!

  3. Bonnie says:

    The dress is beautiful! I love the print, and it fits you very, very well. I’m very impressed!

  4. Lucinda says:

    Hmmm that fabric looks familiar ;) I love it, it turned out great!!

Leave a Reply